This page contains a brief summary of our history. In 1737, Baptists living in Birmingham had to walk 14 miles to Bromsgrove for worship each Sunday. In August that year, 17 members (10 women and 7 men) were “dismissed” to form a new church. They first met in a house on the High Street, not far from where the Rotunda now stands. Later a plot of land was purchased on Cannon Street. This was large enough for the church and burial grounds. In 1875 the church was issued with a compulsory purchase order by the city, to allow the building of Corporation Street. The road would run through the site of the church, which was demolished for work to start. Funds from the sale were managed by the Cannon Street Trust. They had the difficult task of deciding how to spend it. After abandoning the idea of a Central Baptist Church grants were given to the following Baptist Churches: Hagley Road, Hamstead Road, Stratford Road, Smethwick, Moseley, Spring Hill, Small Heath and Lodge Road.
The congregation then met in various locations including Birmingham Town Hall and at Mount Zion on Graham Street for thirty years. Mount Zion was closed due to the population around the church moving to the suburbs of Birmingham. Some members moved to other churches, but most re-located to Handsworth. The plot the church now stands on was then purchased. Whilst waiting for the building to be completed, services were held in Handsworth Council House, now known as Handsworth Library.
The church hall was opened in September 1921 and the Main building was opened on 3rd May 1930. During the Second World War, numerically the Church continued to flourish. Handsworth was not badly affected by bombings but the war had its effect. The Church lost its Minister, Rev. Biscoe, to the forces and his continued service abroad meant that the Church had to rely on its deacons and visiting pastors.
The Church continued to grow over the years, with each lead minister leaving their mark on the surrounding community. Our church leaders today have a lot to thank their predecessors for. It was not an easy road to travel; we thank the Lord for their faith. Today Cannon Street is at the heart of a diverse community. The leaders and congregation are aware of the challenges this brings. We continue to move forward in faith and build on the foundations of the previous congregations.